With summer only a few weeks away, my tank tops are starting to make their way to the front of the closet. I have dozens of cotton tanks that I love to wear with a simple pear of jeans, but I decided they were in need of a little makeover. I was inspired by all the stylish and simple DIY projects I've been seeing made from t-shirts including this market tote bag, fringed scarf and these braided headbands.
• T-shirt (the larger the t-shirt, the longer your strands will be)
• Tank Top
• Sharp Scissors
• Needle & Thread
• Lay the t-shirt on a flat surface and cut off the bottom hem.
• Grab the top layer of the shirt and cut 1/2" wide strips starting from the bottom and make your way to the neck of the shirt. I cut 8 strips for mine.
• Lay your strips next to each other and snip a little off the top of a few strands so that they are slightly different sizes.
• Take your shortest strand and give it a few tugs to stretch it out and to give it a natural curl. Twist the entire strand with your finger for a more curled look.
• Fold over one edge of the strand and sew it on one of the shoulder straps of the tank top. By folding over the edge, you will have a clean look once all the strands are attached. Repeat on the other side so that your first strand is draping over the tank top.
• Repeat the previous 2 steps until all the strands are attached.
Enjoy your "new" tank top! Follow along on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with all my new DIY projects each week.