I've been eager to post an ombrè-inspired DIY tutorial after seeing so many adorable projects pop up on Pinterest lately, including this picnic blanket and this beautiful flower centerpiece. The dark-to-light finish creates such a beautiful contrast of colors, especially when you add flowers!
I chose an oversized juice bottle to create my ombrè flower vase, because I just love its big round bottom and tiny handle at the top! But you can use anything from wine bottles, soda cans or even milk cartons, so look around the house for anything that has a flattering shape.
Follow the steps below to make your own custom vase that will be sure to add a lovely handmade touch to your home.
• Glass juice jug (you can also use other bottles or cans you might have at home)
• Acrylic paint (color of your choice. This will be the darkest color of your vase)
• White acrylic paint
• Small container to mix paint
• Clear glaze or Mod Podge (not pictured)
• Peel off the label from the bottle. If any residue remains, run the bottle under hot water and use a knife or scraper to remove the excess.
• Pour the color paint you have chosen into a container. Keep in mind this will be used to paint the entire bottle so poor enough to last.
• Starting from the bottom, paint a strip all around the bottle. Let dry for a few minutes and add a second coat on top. Repeat, if necessary, until the bottle underneath is completely covered.
• Add a touch of white paint to the container and mix thoroughly. For a more gradual transition between colors, add a very small amount of white paint each time.
• Working your way up the bottle, paint another strip around the bottle.
• Continue adding white paint to the mixture and painting until the bottle is completely covered.
• Once dry, add a quote of clear glaze or Mod Podge (gloss or matte finish, your choice) to seal in the paint.
Lastly, just add water, flowers and enjoy your new handmade vase! Follow along on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with my new DIY projects each week.
P.S. Check out my DIY tissue box vase tutorial to create one for short-stemmed centerpieces.