This week's DIY project is inspired by my favorite midnight snack: pistachios! After creating a pile of shells on my plate, I couldn't help but notice what a pretty shape they had. Now it's time to put them to use!
By adding some paint, pistachio shells turn into such beautiful ornaments for creating jewelry. I decided to go with the ombrè gradient look, because of my recent obsession, but get creative and explore different colors. And if you love your pistachio shell necklace, take it a step further and make a matching bracelet, earrings or anklet.
I've worn my necklace quite a few times and absolutely love it! It's especially great for summer. Follow the steps below to make your very own.
• Pistachio shells (I used 34)
• Small piece of thin cardboard
• Glue gun or tacky glue
• Acrylic paint
• Mod Podge (not pictured)
• Jump rings and lobster clasp
• Needle nose pliers
• Cut the cardboard into a semi-circle to serve as the base of the necklace.
• Attach jump rings to the corners of the cardboard and attach the chain.
• Paint pistachio shells the colors of your choice. To create lighter shades of any color, simply add white paint until you have your desired shade. Let dry and add 2-3 additional coats so that the shell is completely covered.
• Once dry, add a thin coat of decoupage medium to seal in the paint and add shine.
• Let dry and start gluing the shells onto the cardboard, starting with the bottom layer and working your way in.
Follow along on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with my new DIY projects each week!