P.S. Check out my DIY draped necklace tank top for more wardrobe makeover ideas.
• Piece of leather (I bought mine from a craft store, but you can also repurpose that old leather skirt buried in the back of your closet. Faux leather will also work)
• Paper• Gold paper fasteners (available at office supply stores and many craft stores)
• Pencil• Sharpie or marker
• Ribbon or thin cord
• With a pencil, draw your desired collar pattern onto a piece of paper and cut it out. Tip: You only need to cut out one side, since we will be using one pattern for both sides of the collar.
• Place your pattern onto the back side of the leather and trace it with a marker. Flip the pattern over and trace again to create the opposite side of your collar.
• Cut out both pieces.
• Using an X-Acto knife, screw punch or leather punch, make a small hole at the edge of each of the leather pieces to connect them at the center. Tip: if using an X-Acto knife, be sure to carefully make a tiny incision to avoid ending up with a large tear.
• Slide a paper fastener through both holes and bend the legs open to secure.
• Continue making holes and adding paper fasteners as desired to embellish your collar.
• To create a back closure, make a hole at the end of each side of the collar and knot a piece of ribbon on both sides.Tie them together like a shoelace to close.
Enjoy your new handmade one-of-a-kind collar! Follow along on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with all my DIY projects.