I've been itching to make holiday crafts all year and I'm so excited to share my first one. For this week's DIY project, I'm making some sparkly ornaments made out of something that I'm sure we all have tons of at home: CDs! When you cut them into small pieces, they're a great alternative to mosaic tiles with an added touch of shine. Add some handmade flavor to your own tree or make them as holiday gifts! Now, let's get started...
P.S. Check out my DIY gift wrapping paper tutorial for another holiday craft!
• Glass ornament (I got a pack of 4 on sale at Michaels for $2!)
• CDs (choose ones that are silver underneath and not blue/purple. It takes about 1½ to make 1 ornament)
• Glue gun
• Cut CDs into various small shapes and sizes. It's not the simplest material to cut through, but can be done with a decent pair of scissors.
• Glue a small dot onto the ornament and press a piece of mosaic on top with the shiny side facing up. Be sure to wipe away any remaining "spiderwebs" from the glue gun. I find it much easier to clean as you go then to wait until the end.
• Continue gluing until the entire ornament is covered. Tip: You can also place the ornament on top of a small cup to hold in place as you glue.
• Place some ribbon inside the ornament. Since you can see through the glass ornament, this will cover up the glue dots on the inside and the back side of the CD pieces. Tip: Use bright ribbon to add some extra color.
You're done! Now make a bunch, hang 'em up and watch your tree sparkle!